Seems it is a hair care month for me! Beauty starts within and I wanted to find out what is it our hair need to stay healthy and strong.
Nutrients for a healthy hair
1. Protein. When I went to hairdresser she gave me a good advice to use protein enriched hair care products. Currently I am looking for a right conditioner to buy, will keep you posted. As we know protein is one of the building blocks of life, promoting cell growth and repair - and it boosts the hair strength, too!
Protein enriched foods: meat, fish, seafood, eggs, dairy, pulses, grains, beans and nuts. Adults should consume two to three servings of protein every day.
2. Iron and zinc. It is amazing what deficiency of iron can do our bodies, so it is important to keep iron levels up at all times. Iron and zinc help hair follicles to grow, we should eat lean meat or non-meat sources at least 4 times a week. Lets not forget vitamin C rich food like an orange to boost iron absorption.
Iron enriched foods: liver, red meat, pulses, poultry, fish, dark green leafy vegetables, cereals, nuts and fruit.
Zinc enriched foods: milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, wholegrain, nuts and pulses.
3. Omega-3 fatty acids. Fatty fish like salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and it will keep the hair hydrated. In addition to silky hair, omega-3s may help to relieve depression and are great to keep our mood on the positive side.
Omega-3 fatty acids enriched food: potatoes cooked in oil and savory snacks, meat and meat products, cereal products and fish and fish dishes.
4. Vitamin D. According to some studies I came across vitamin D may help activate hair growth. However, D is a tricky vitamin, only few foods contain it naturally. Natural sun light can help your body to produce more of it, but many experts advise against to much of sun exposure due to the harm of UV rays. Personally I think we all need a bit of sunshine to keep warm and happy, so just apply that SPF and enjoy!
Vitamin D enriched foods: oily fish, eggs and fortified cereals.
5. Biotin. Eggs are rich in this B vitamin essential for growth. They are also an excellent source of protein and vitamin D.
Biotin enriched foods:
What is your best tip for a healthy hair?